Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Hearth cooking

Let me start with a couple of gratuitous Eowyn pictures for my mother-in-law.

Here she is playing with a shiny metal tin. She was very excited!
2007_11270006

And for once, I was able to get an indoor picture of her without the 'deer in the headlights' face.
2007_11270007

Now, the real reason for today's post. While looking at our pictures and videos from the summer yesterday, I was inspired. When he was visiting, my brother-in-law taught us how to make hobos. They were very simple and quite tasty. Since our insert is temporarily a fireplace, I thought that this would be the perfect time to see if I could make them in it.

Here is my cooking crew with the unprepped ingredients and extras: butter, carrots, potatoes, onions, ground beef, seasoning, aluminum foil.
2007_11270010

Wash and slice your carrots & potatoes. Slice your onions and butter. (You can add other vegetables, too.)
2007_11270011

Layer the ingredients on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Here is the order we placed them in: butter, beef, sprinkle seasoning, onions, potatoes, carrots. More seasoning and butter for good measure.
2007_11270013

Before wrapping, this is what your hobo should look like:
2007_11270012

Next, wrap and seal the foil tightly. I double wrapped them as the ones we made this summer tore when they were flipped.

Next, place them on the coals. I placed our cast-iron griddle, serrated side up, directly on the coals. Then I piled on the hobos.
2007_11270014

To cook, we rotated them every 5 to 7 minutes for a total cooking time of 25 minutes. Two had to go back in the fire for 4 more minutes as the meat was still pink.

The finished meal:
2007_11270015

Our hearty eaters:
2007_11270017

2007_11270016

No comments: