Monday, April 14, 2008

How To Spectate

As you all know, next weekend is the big race and life is pretty crazy around here. However, a few weeks ago, we were able to get away for a day. Dieter was riding in race, one that is traditionally a non-friendly spectator course. It is always wet, windy and not pleasant to be out in at all. This year, I had a plan to limit my environmental exposure. A friend of mine lives a mere 6 miles from the start and I decided that, while Dieter was battling the elements, we would drive off and hang out there.

But we still had to put in some pre-race support duty. (This just means that I couldn't leave until the race went off.)

Here is Dieter in his spiffy new Battenkill United uniform pre-race. Notice the cow motif. (Dieter likes cows.)
2008_04060007

He was joined by some adventurous B-U cohorts (That's one of my little munchkins there on the right.)
2008_04060013

Farm Team had a good showing, as well.
2008_04060009

Austin looks like he's cleaning his bike before the race - I'm not quite sure why.
2008_04060012

While the racers headed out for a warm-up, my brood found ways to entertain themselves.
2008_04060021

2008_04060022

Levi found a mud puddle...
2008_04060026

He was almost in the clear and then he tipped over.
2008_04060027

Fortunately, the damage was minimal.

Eowyn was cozy and warm in her stroller.
2008_04060005

Finally, the men lined up and the race took off.
2008_04060038

And so were we.

We went to visit with my friend, Janet, and her family - husband, Justin, and their two really cute kids. They live in an idyllic setting. Justin is the year round caretaker of a summer camp/farm. It is serene and peaceful.

After playing inside for a bit, we got a little tour of the farm.

Janet, Justin, and Wyatt...
2008_04060075

looking at these beauties.
2008_04060043

Wyatt paid them a personal visit.
2008_04060070

Levi headed up to the back field to converse with the cows.
2008_04060057

The momma cows had not yet birthed their offspring with one exception. This is the only calf at the moment.
2008_04060059

It's momma didn't take too kindly to my attention and moved a bit closer.
2008_04060063

Janet's oldest child showed my kids how to collect hickory nuts and then crack them open. She had an attentive audience.
2008_04060080

She's pretty good at wielding a hammer, too, for a 4 year old.
2008_04060081

Her brother was not interested in hickory nuts. He liked my camera and kept insisting that I take his picture. I was too happy to oblige - I love willing subjects! (And he's such a cutie!)
2008_04060083

By this time, we had to head back to the race. The hickory nuts had wet everyone's appetite and they were hungry so Dagny made my favorite bike race food - peanut butter and fluff sandwiches.
2008_04060086

And I was able to get the obligatory photo of Dieter.
2008_04060095

One of these days, I'll be able to get him from the front. But probably not until he's old and slow.

No comments: