Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bad haircuts

It's going to be summer soon. We had a taste of the coming weather this past weekend - 90+ degree heat and near 100% humidity. Yuck. I felt like I was back in the South and I wasn't too happy about that. Dieter, crazy man that he is, rode in a race and suffered the heat.
Dieter 2008BFC

He survived. So did the kids. But we realized that the boys were overdue for their short, summer haircuts. I usually have the honors of shaving their heads. I don't go too short - just short enough. So this morning, I pulled out the shears, it's accompaniments and went straight to work.

Liam was first. His hair turned out well - I NEVER use a guard smaller than a 2. I don't like bald, little boys.
Haircutting photos 071
(Notice - He's finally lost his first tooth!)

Then I went to work on Levi's hair. I was half way through when someone distracted me and I put down the shears. Eowyn was near by, doing her own thing. I turned around for just a minute, I swear. But I should know by now that anyone who can look so cute and mischievous at the same time (see the example photo below) is capable of wreaking havoc of monumental proportions - especially when her mother is not paying attention to her doings.
Haircutting photos 024

So...I turn back to Levi, pick up the shears, and proceed to finish Levi's hair. And then I realized someone had removed the guard and my son now had a shaved off stripe on his head!

Panic ensued. What was I going to do? Perhaps I could just finish his hair and hope people wouldn't notice. "Nope, you have shave it," said Dieter. "But it'll grow in quick," I replied. "Nope, you have to shave it," repeated my husband. I couldn't do that - I felt tears starting to well up in my eyes. How on earth could I shave ALL of the hair off of my little boy's head? He's such a cutie - with hair, that is!
Cheesey Levi

Dieter wasn't going to fix Levi's hair. It had to be me. Somehow, I managed to shave his head. (If you look above his ear, you can see the offending piece of scalp that started it all.)
Haircutting photos 066

Haircutting photos 076

Phew. It was done. Wyatt was the last one to go. What does he tell me? He wants to be bald, too! Unable to talk him into changing his mind, I went to work and shaved his head pretty darn short.
Haircutting photos 078

At this point, Liam decides that he wants to be shaved as well. Surprisingly, no objection comes from my mouth. He sits down and I re-shave his head.

I am now the proud mother of three very handsome, bald boys!
Haircutting photos 079

And...I didn't shed one tear.

No comments: